Monday, May 13, 2024

Weighty Bonds: A Tale of Fat and Thin

Fat And Thin

By Anton Chekhov


Chekhov often critiqued the hierarchical Russian society in "Fat and Thin," examining the friendship dynamics between two former classmates. A pivotal conversation reveals how societal status affects their relationship, reflecting broader commentary on social structure.


Artistic depiction of two old classmates, one portly and the other lean, from the story ‘Fat and Thin’ by Anton Chekhov.
Karl Witkowski, Pick a Hand, 1889

At the Nikolaevsky station, two friends met - one a fat man, the other a thin man. The fat man had just eaten at the station and his full lips shone like ripe cherries. He smelled of sherry and orange blossom. The thin man had just stepped off the train and was loaded with tote bags, packages, and boxes of duct tape. He smelled of ham and coffee grounds. Behind him appeared a thin woman with a long chin, his wife, and a tall schoolboy with a broken eye.

"Porfire," called the fat man when he saw the thin man. "Really? Dear man! How many summers, how many winters!"

"Holy holidays!" exclaimed the thin man in astonishment. "Misha! My childhood friend! Where did you fall?"

The friends kissed each other three times and looked at each other with tears in their eyes. Both were pleasantly surprised.

"My dear boy!" the thin man began after the kiss. "This is unexpected! It's a surprise! Come see me! Just as beautiful as before! So good, dear and dandy! Please me! Well, how are you? Did you marry your fortune? I am married , as you see... This is my wife Luise, her maiden name was Vantsenbach... of the Lutheran faith... And this is my son Nafanail, a third-grade schoolboy. This is my childhood friend Nafanya. We were boys at school together!"

Nafanail thought for a moment and raised his hat.

"We were boys at school together," continued the thin man. "Do you remember how they teased you? They called you Herostratus because you burned a hole in the school book, and I was nicknamed Ephialtes because I liked to tell stories. Oh—oh!... We were children!... Don't be shy, Nafanya. Approach him. And this is my wife, her maiden name was Lutheran Vantsenbach..."

Nafanail thought a little and ran after his father.

"How are you, my friend?" the fat man asked excitedly, looking at his friend. "Are you on duty? What level did you reach?"

"It's me, dear boy! I've been a university counselor for the last two years and I have Stanislav. The pay is bad, but it doesn't matter! He gives music lessons and I go... sculpts wooden cigarette boxes. Privately, we order. You know, I was a civil servant and now I have been transferred here to the same department as the General Secretary. I serve here. What about yourself? I take it you are already a civil lawyer? Huh?"

"No, dear boy, go over," said the fat man. "I have already become a private consultant... I have two stars."

The thin man was both pale and stiff, but soon his face twisted in every direction in the widest smile; sparks seemed to flash from his face and eyes. He staggered, doubled over, crumpled... Her carrier bag, bouquet of flowers, and cardboard box also appeared to shrink and crumple.

His wife's long chin continued to grow; Nafanail looked carefully and fastened all the uniform buttons.

"Your Majesty, I am... satisfied! You can say that a childhood friend has become such a great man! Ha ha!"

"Come, come!" the fat man frowned. "What is this shadow for? You and I were friends when we were boys, and this official insolence is unnecessary!"

"Merciful heavens, Your Majesty! What are you saying...?" The thin man smiled, writhing more than ever. "Your Majesty's gracious attention is like refreshing manna... This, Your Majesty, is my son Nafanail... my wife Luise, a kind of Lutheran."

The fat man protested, but the thin face expressed such sweet and lame respect that the privy councilor became ill and turned away from the thin man... and giving him his hand as he went away, Nafanail smiled at his leg and threw off his hat.



Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

1 comment:

If you have any doubt, Please let me know